Monthly Archives: May 2011

Dancing Delirium

This image has an unusual heritage.  It was done on the back of an old painting and the paper had gone bad.  It wouldn’t take water properly.  So yesterday I had some gouache that was left over on the palette so just to clean the palette I wiped it with this piece of paper meaning to throw it away.  But when I looked this dancer had magically materialized.  I just had to add the back ground in acrylic and it was done.  I love the frenzied motion of the dancer.  I couldn’t have done this by actually painting it but sometimes these things happen.

Scene From Behind Series

I’ve done images of people seen from behind for years.  It began as a way to involve my hands when I’ve sat through various presentations.  Now I’m taking more of these and working them into full paintings.  It’s an interesting and relatively easy way of capturing people and the people often hold the position for longer.  Also, as I’ve mentioned before, we don’t have the same amount of baggage attached to the back of the head as we do to the front which we generally consider the important side.  This little study worked out quite well.  It has a nice sense of light.  The hat was a real challenge.  It was a very busy plaid pattern and I’ve tried to simplify it.  This image was done in watercolour.

Demo at Cactus Art Supplies

This is an image of me and the painting I did at an in-store demo at Cactus Art Supplies, yesterday. It’s watercolour and  took 4-1/2 hours to do. I was quite happy with the painting but I was very pleased to actually do it.  I don’t have a lot of experience painting in front of people so it’s always good to give it a try.  I would like to do more of it for sure.

Portraits In Watercolour

I’m testing out this image as a possible wrap up for the Mastering Colour class. Portraits in watercolour are sometimes considered very challenging but after the success of the iris image (see some samples on the Student Art Blog) I thought I’d give it a try.  I was very surprised to see how fast and how much fun it was.  As I looked at my value study I decided to try to connect all the darks so I soaked the paper except for the lighter parts on the cheeks.  Then I literally flooded colour (Quin Rose, Dioxazine Purple, and Thalo Blue with some Cad Orange) into this wet area and let it do it’s thing.  It was a lot of fun to see the colours mix and mingle.  The one thing that I would change next time is to make this first wash much darker.  In this image I added a second dark wash because the first was just a little light even though it had a nicer mix of colours.  The second was turned some of the subtle colours purple-ish.  While the wash was still wet I lifted out some lighter areas above the eyebrows and around the eyes.  Then just a few accents for the dark of the eyes and in a few other areas and it was done.  I toned down the white on the cheeks by putting on a glaze of Quin Rose. The process I followed for this painting was not only fun but it is just calling to me to explore further.  Connecting shapes and letting watercolour do what it does best just seems to be a way for me to start to speak with my own voice.  You have to love moments like this.

Iris Study

Value Study (7.5" X 10")

This is the image of an iris that I did on my latest video clip.  I used an analagous colour scheme of yellow orange, orange and red orange with a blue violet as the complementary colour.  For this image I did a small compositional study, a larger value study and I feel that is one reason that the image worked out.  I’m constantly referring to my value study to make sure I stay with the plan.  It’s becoming easier to do that and the benefits are a more consistent outcome.  If the small compositional sketch and the value study work then usually the painting will work.  The one area that I didn’t follow my value sketch is the black negative space at the bottom centre.  It’s more interesting in the value sketch than it is in the actual painting.

9″ X 12″

For information on this or any other painting contact me.