This is the demo I did last night. I added some finishing touches after the class. I’ve done this image a number of times so I’m always trying to incorporate some fresh ideas. I feel quite good about this image. A little splatter always helps.
This is a painting that I use in my watercolour classes. I hadn’t painted it for a while so I was interested to see if I could add any new elements to it to keep it fresh. I did 85 % of the painting in class last night. I finished it off this morning.
A couple of things that came to mind during this process.
1) The first 85 % of the painting is about getting the big shapes, putting them into a pleasing composition and giving them the right value. If this works then you know that your painting will work.
2) The last 15 % of the painting which includes adding details, unifying colours, adjusting values and adding accents and highlights can take as long as the first 85 %. This part brings the painting to life.
Anyway, that’s how it happened with this painting.
When I look at it now I think it has a great sense of light and is very realistic while not being overly busy. I can also see 2 things I would change next time. The first is to not have all the highlights in the green bushes at the bottom. It looks like it’s being lit from below. Secondly I think it still has too much pure white paper even though I reduced it to just to the right of the door.
This is the image that I shaded in this video clip. It’s a beautiful portrait of Emma Watson. It’s particularly interesting because of the 3 values of shading, normal on the left, dark in the middle and white paper on the right. I also did it on hot pressed watercolour paper which is wonderful to shade on.
This portrait was a lot of fun to do. It has some challenges shading-wise, with 3 areas of value. The normal skin tones on the left, the dark shadows just off centre and the white of the paper on the far right of the face. I finished it off with a black watercolour wash for the background and the gown which I think adds a nice touch, and it certainly helped speed up the process.
This portrait has a lot of very interesting features in terms of a learning experience. There is a very subtle overall shading pattern. Also to accurately recreate her hair as it goes from very dark to gradually showing more light and detail is a real challenge.
In the previous post is a video clip detailing the complete shading process for this portrait. It doesn’t show the drawing but just the shading which is a very similar process to painting a portrait. Starting with an underpainting and slowly building up the darker values.
This is the view from one of the only free parking spots that is close to the downtown area. It’s part of the redevelopment zone for the Calgary Stampede so I imagine it will be gone at some point.
In any case it affords a neat view of the office buildings in the downtown core.
I quite like the smoke effect. It was done using Chinese White. In my plein air painting I find I use Chinese White a lot more because I can’t afford to take the time to paint around shapes. I need to concentrate on the composition and value pattern and trying to make my washes interesting.
This particular scene is becoming very interesting to me. I think that it would look good in a 20 X 30 format so I’ve done a little colour study using that format. I like the high horizon line though I think it could be even a little bit higher. Also the angle of the bank on the left has changed considerably from the previous post and I think a perspective between this one and the previous post would work best.
Anyway, that little plein air dash on Friday is having some very pleasant reprecussions.